You may be wondering why you should choose retractable security grilles for windows and doors, rather than going for something more technologically advanced, such as alarms, or for a more conventional security system, such as roller shutters or fixed bars. Here are just a few reasons:
Advantages over alarms
According to the Metropolitan Police, in recent years the percentage of false alarm calls caused by equipment, communication or user error totalled over 92% of all alarm activations across the UK
- A powerful physical barrier, not just a deterrent – the average burglar can be in and out in a few minutes, by the time the police will react to your alarm system.
- Equally effective when the premises are occupied – even where areas can be zoned off, there is always the danger of forgetting that the alarm is activated in other zones.
- No false alarms – having security grills means that your safety does not depend on the time the police take to assess the urgency of your alarm. Plus, the police will only respond to an alarm if it is verified that there is an intruder in the building.
- No additional costs: our retractable security grills do not require maintenance or monitoring, as alarm systems usually need.
Advantages over roller shutters
- Indoor installation: security grills are usually fixed closed behind the window frame while fitter roller shutters are generally installed externally, which means they can be easily removed. Plus, burglars know you are not there if the roller shutter is down.
- Better on appearance: security grilles can be stacked behind the curtains when not in use, with no ugly boxes and frames fitted outside of your property.
- Competitive costs: sliding security grilles can offer significant savings over the cost of the equivalent roller shutter.
- No maintenance costs: security grills don’t require an electric motor that can break down or needs fixing and they don’t need planning permission.
Advantages over fixed bars and grilles
The main and overwhelming advantage is the fact that sliding security grilles can be quickly unlocked in the event of an emergency. Any form of physical security that cannot be unlocked is a potential death trap and should never be considered in any occupied building, commercial or domestic.